Qumulo – Getting so much more from your HPE relationship
Companies experience several pain points when it comes to file storage, some of which you could be seeing in your own organisation. IT workloads are increasing while businesses try to extrapolate more productivity and value from existing legacy platforms.
Some of the repercussions being seen include:
- Unreliable performance – People working in data-intensive industries such as research environments, universities, or media and entertainment studios with multiple active projects, often struggle with unpredictable user and application performance.
- Limited Scaling – As your business expands, so too do IT workloads. Every modern enterprise needs to be able to scale its storage to its corporate requirements – easily, instantaneously, and without disruptions to its data centre operations or performance.
- Availability – When data isn’t available, the disconnect comes at a cost, which grows with each person blocked by unavailable storage. With legacy systems, availability can be unpredictable.
Software-defined storage (SDS) solutions offer several benefits over the traditional NAS (Network Attached Storage) and SAN (Storage Area Network) approaches. Typically, they are more agile and cost-effective and enable rapid and economical scaling of storage. SDS enables the use of standard x86 based storage hardware, making it easier to perform quick changes on SDS configurations when compared to the storage running on dedicated hardware.
HPE partners with a number of software-defined storage vendors with advanced AI built in. Each one brings a unique capability. Each one can be purchased as HPE SKUs and on HPE products, specifically set up to ensure the third party solution works optimally (such as Komprise via HPE Complete).
One of the best SDS solutions currently available is four-time Magic Quadrant Leader, Qumulo. HPE has partnered with Qumulo, to offer hybrid cloud file storage, providing real time visibility, scale and control of your data across on premise and cloud.
Qumulo offers a distributed file and object storage system which assists individuals and businesses in managing data clusters. It accomplishes this through a unique hybrid cloud approach, facilitating seamless data management between data centres and cloud environments.
Together with Qumulo, HPE offers industry-leading hybrid storage solutions for scale-out environments, built on HPE Apollo 4000 Systems. These solutions are enterprise-proven and highly scalable. They can be deployed in minutes, and they scale as your data grows. New nodes added to the cluster data automatically rebalance, making the scale-out experience seamless. HPE introduced HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Plus with All-NVMe and Qumulo, in their latest scale-out file solution. It is optimised for high-throughput, low-latency use-cases involving unstructured file data. The Al l-NVMe design allows enterprises to run data-intensive applications without speed or capacity limitations, enabling them to innovate faster than ever before. The new Al l-NVMe Flash solution takes unstructured data to the next level.
There are several characteristics that separate Qumulo as a leader in the file storage space:
- Customer satisfaction is a top priority – Customer satisfaction is an often overlooked element of data management platforms. Qumulo’s Net Promoter Score (NPS) is on the increase, reaching 91 in the most recent quarter, which is industry-leading and well above the average industry score of 60.
- Simplicity at the core – features work consistently on every infrastructure platform, is designed for and tested under a wide array of conditions. Users are enabled to easily manage the full data lifecycle with cost-effective capacity, limitless scalability, automatic encryption and an advanced API that allows it to be seamlessly integrated into existing technology ecosystems and workflows.
- Data protection and security controls built-in – features always-on security and is restricted to only the operations required to perform the file system’s tasks, reducing the risk of an attack. The platform has additional risk reduction measures, including no direct access to your data on the nodes, a fully developed native protocol stack and a high level of separation from the operating system. Bi-weekly updates ensure that new codes are introduced every two weeks, ensuring security fixes.
- Scale without boundaries – allows you to start at any size and easily scale to billions of files. You will continue to get predictable efficiency and performance at any scale for all your file types. It also enables deployment on-premises or natively in the cloud, and maintains the flexibility with bidirectional data mobility and uniform manageability.
- Predictability, visibility, and control of your data – provides real-time visibility of your data usage, performance, and infrastructure. It offers predictability in utilisation and capacity while scaling your infrastructure and facilitating contextual AI-driven infrastructure monitoring.
- Accelerates innovation – Get value from your data quickly. With the right mix of speed and capacity, customers get a unique time-to-market advantage. Enterprises can move data faster within their data pipeline. This provides much needed acceleration in implementing data-driven use cases.
Let’s take a look at how Qumulo can be applied to different industries.
Improving healthcare outcomes
A comprehensive data platform improves healthcare services by leveraging analytics and data delivery. This enhances performance, security, capacity, and comprehensive technological intelligence to provide image access and sharing required for hospital PACS (picture archiving and communication system).
HPE together with Qumulo enables healthcare providers to meet imaging growth projections, supports consolidation of imaging, and reduces the cost of administration while supporting physician productivity.
The Qumulo File Data Platform proves to be the leading solution as it ensures management and visibility into various workloads. Cloud access allows for quick image retrieval, which promotes quality healthcare even in the most dynamic hospital environments.
The leading platform for analysts
The advent of an array of sensors (not limited to the office, but also in our homes, cars and workplaces), powerful processors, supercomputers and personal devices has led to the rapid acceleration of unstructured data. However, the technology for managing that data has only evolved incrementally, creating an obstacle for innovation and garnering insights.
HPE and Qumulo took a new approach and built a file data platform to consolidate data, and make it available to applications and users, wherever they are. This enables organisations to mobilise their workforce and collaborate remotely with access to the data they need, whether on-premises or in a hybrid or public cloud.
For growing data, law enforcement requires a centralised system
Unstructured data is used by law enforcement agencies in their daily operations. Intelligence files and photo evidence from gaol records, investigations, video security systems, and even DNA continue to grow into massive datasets that ordinary storage systems cannot handle.
When it comes to file management, law enforcement agencies face three major challenges:
- Ability to manage the various sources of unstructured data obtained during investigations; a centralised file data management system is required.
- There is then a need to store this growing archive of data, the most prominent of which is in video format.
- Access to real-time data is also required to facilitate rapid investigations and monitor trends in order to anticipate crimes before they occur utilising AI.
Qumulo outperforms legacy systems in terms of assisting law enforcement because it is poised to solve all the aforementioned challenges by fostering logical analysis in its system.
Are you eligible for Qumulo?
To ensure Qumulo is suitable for your organisation, we as your IT partner can perform a MiTrends File Storage Health-check/Assessment.
Here’s a quick reference list of the systems we can assess:
- Backup – ArcServe, Avamar, Backup Exec, CommVault, Data Protector, Microsoft DPM, NetBackup, NetVault, NetWorker, Oracle RMAN, TSM, Veeam, VMware VDP, Data Domain
- Data Analysis – AWS S3 Analysis, Compressibility Analysis, File Analysis
- Servers – Exchange, Hyper-V, Oracle, RVTools, SQL Server, Unix, VMware, Windows
- Storage – Compellent, EqualLogic, HDS, HDS AMS, HP 3PAR, HP EVA, HP XP, IBM DS, IBM Storage, IBM SVC, IBM v7000, IBM v9000, IBM XIV, NetApp, RecoverPoint, Unity, VNX, VNXe, VPLEX, XtremIO, Isilon, VMAX
Find out more
Data storage doesn’t have to be difficult and, HPE in partnership with Qumulo, can help you manage your data at scale – no matter your industry. Simplified file data deployment and instant control means more value and performance and, by extension, accelerated business outcomes.
We can help you take advantage of the HPE Qumulo solution as your IT partner and advisor. Reach out today to make sure you’re getting the most out of your data.