Introducing Aruba EdgeConnect
Traditional wide area networks (WANs) based on conventional routers were never designed for the cloud. They typically require backhauling all traffic, including cloud-destined traffic, from branch offices to a hub or a headquarters data centre where advanced security inspection services can be applied. The delay caused by backhauling can impair application performance resulting in a poor user experience and lost productivity.
Unlike the traditional router-centric WAN architecture, the SD-WAN (Software-defined Wide Area Network) model is designed to fully support applications hosted in on-premises data centres, public or private clouds, and SaaS services such as Salesforce.com, Workday, Dropbox, Microsoft 365, and more, all whilst delivering the highest levels of application performance.
SD-WAN is a virtual WAN architecture that allows businesses to leverage any combination of transport services—including MPLS, LTE and broadband internet services—to securely connect users to applications.
Using a centralised control function, an SD-WAN can securely and intelligently direct traffic across the WAN and directly to trusted SaaS and IaaS providers. This increases application performance and delivers a high-quality user experience, which increases business productivity, agility and reduces IT costs.
New developments in SD-WAN capabilities
Recently, Aruba announced the EdgeConnect SD-WAN Fabric – Aruba’s unified WAN solution that makes it easier to manage and operate the connection of users to applications from any connected location or device. This includes devices for mobile workers, microbranches (“branches of one”), small branch offices, through to the largest of organisations.
EdgeConnect SD-WAN Fabric key capabilities include:
- Unified connectivity from user/device to applications
- Connection across mobile, remote, branch and campus locations
- Consistent QoS (Quality of Service)
- Built-in business-driven security and policy enforcement
- Integrated cloud-delivered security services
- Management from Aruba Central
What is the Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN Fabric?
The Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN Fabric allows organisations to securely connect users to applications across the entire business – from edge to cloud – with a single SD-WAN fabric. The fabric provides any-to-any mesh SASE (secure) connectivity across locations of any size, including data centres, hybrid clouds, IaaS, and SaaS.
Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN Fabric includes four types of right-sized access deployment models, or “on ramps,” to the SD-WAN fabric. This allows seamless delivery and secure, high-performance network connectivity from headquarters through to mobile users, to reach their applications, data, and services from anywhere. It also includes integration and management with Aruba Central.
These “on ramps” are:
- EdgeConnect Enterprise – Aruba EdgeConnect (formerly known as Silver Peak) allows IT admins to architect an advanced SD-WAN edge that continuously learns and adapts to changing business needs and flexibly delivers maximum network and application performance from the edge to the cloud.
- EdgeConnect SD-Branch – (Formerly Aruba SD-Branch) Allows IT Admins to consolidate branch networking components for maximum integration across WLAN, LAN, and SD-WAN with integrated security and onboard LTE support with centralised cloud management.
- EdgeConnect Microbranch –Aruba’s IAP/RAP SOHO solution is ideally suited for small office or work-from-home sites. This minimal footprint option uses a range of Aruba remote access points (RAPs), enabling secure WAN connectivity to the corporate enterprise network and automating integrations with cloud delivered security services.
- EdgeConnect Urban center – Aruba VIA (“Virtual Intranet Access”). When dedicated Wi-Fi access points are not an option, (e.g. road warriors) Aruba VIA is easy to deploy and is a cost-effective solution for remote workforces — this means maximum mobility whether connecting on private or public networks.
Organisations using Aruba’s EdgeConnect SD-WAN can expect:
- Improved end user quality of experience (faster response time, higher app performance and availability)
- Higher employee productivity leading to
- Increased end customer satisfaction
- Reduced business risk with consistent security policy enforcement
- Greater IT efficiency to deploy, configure, and manage WAN infrastructure
- Lower cost bandwidth services
Why Aruba EdgeConnect?
The Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN Fabric goes beyond traditional SD-WAN capabilities to facilitate secure connectivity among branch locations, small offices, and remote workers with a single fabric—all centrally managed.
Aruba’s single fabric solution simplifies management, operations, and security of the WAN from the smallest (individual mobile) site through to the largest enterprise sites. This includes EdgeConnect Enterprise (legacy Silver Peak EdgeConnect) integrated within Central.
Aruba has a broad ecosystem of best-in-class cloud security integrations, offering freedom to choose the best solution for the environment without compromising networking or security functionality.
Are you using SD-WAN to reach your business potential?
If SD-WAN is part of your long-term plans to secure your business sites and offices, reach out to us and we can help you determine your next steps.
Next month we’ll explore the financial and operational benefits of Aruba EdgeConnect Enterprise and its integration with Megaport.